Spark In The Dark works with individuals who have fallen on hard times through their Facebook group by allowing them to post their needs and struggles to the group and then helping to match them with the appropriate people and resources within the community to fulfill their needs.
They help to facilitate a safe space free of judgement where individuals can come and to seek not only physical help but also emotional support along with wisdom, guidance, and hope. They connect individuals to volunteer opportunities, employment, and the chance to help one another - this provides hope, empowerment, community, and confidence.
Our goal in pairing up with Spark In The Dark is to help them raise funds for their own space. This space will provide the following:
- A safe and reliable space for picking up and dropping off donations. A space will provide more flexibility for pick-ups and drop-offs, and allow them to have a tracking system for donations.
- A job readiness program that will work on resume writing, interpersonal skills, and interview etiquette techniques. They believe this will be an essential community program that will provide confidence for individuals seeking opportunities. This will increase the quality of life and stability of those that they are helping.
- An event center for local organizations. They believe in COMMUNITY. This means connecting individuals with already established resources and organizations in order to give and/or receive the help and hope they need.
In order to help them raise funds, we will be:
- Selling candy bars in each of our branch locations
- Employees will donate $5 every Friday during the month of October for the opportunity to wear jeans.
- Our Traverse City Marketplace Circle branch will be hosting a bake sale on Friday, October 27th.